...but if molinette
can do it, so can I.
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Went to Book Expo America
. (The only true perk of the helljob.)
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not yet, but my sister is expecting her second!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Some major figures with whom I've always felt close died: Bowie, Prince, Sharon Jones.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
Same as last year (but I'm working toward it more now): Full time, tenure track, professor gig with a living wage.
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
September 9, 2016, last day at the hell job.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finding a way to leave a job I hated by taking the plunge of teaching adjunct full time (between 2 universities).
9. What was your biggest failure?
Having to stay with the helljob for as long as I did.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not other than the usual colds, etc. - but those I did get tended to hang on.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?caseystratton
has had a pretty amazing year in terms of accomplishment. I'm ridiculously proud of him.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Everyone who voted for Trump.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Leaving the helljob.
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
Everything off of Bowie's Blackstar.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? About the same.
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Soul sucking office work (again).
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
The usual family and friend stuff (again).
21. How will you be spending New Year’s?
Big bash at a friend's place (again, I think, otherwise I'll stay home with classic films).
22. Did you fall in love in 2016?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program(s)?
Agents of SHIELD, Supernatural, American Horror Story, Conviction, Elementary
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't really hate, especially people I don't know, but I'm utterly disgusted with Trump and his followers.
26. What was the best book you read?
This is tough, as I read so many.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
New Bowie album - Blackstar
28. What did you want and get?
A sense of autonomy.
29. What did you want and not get?
Relief from omnipresent money worries.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Captain America: Civil War.
31. What did you do on your birthday?
Drinks with family and friends (again).
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Hillary Clinton winning the US election in a landslide.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Looking good/pulled together in clothes that feel like pajamas.
34. What kept you sane?
Books, music, family/friends, leaving the helljob.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I didn't, really.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The 2016 US election and all of its attendant issues.
37. Who did you miss?
All of my Chicago friends (always, though I managed to see a few this year).
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I met my online friend Delia in person, it was AWESOME.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016:
I relearned it: You have to find a way to do things that make you happy - our lives are too short to waste time.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Look up here, I'm in heaven
I've got scars that can't be seen
I've got drama, can't be stolen
Everybody knows me now..."
-Lazarus, David Bowie